Saturday, September 5, 2009

Planning Meals

Since my mom got sick, we have all pitched in to help wherever we could. Because I don't have to work, I pick up a lot of the slack. And I don't mind. I do most of the cooking. But that is something that I enjoy a lot.

But I have to plan everything in advance. I need to make sure that the recipes are heart healthy. I need to go do all the shopping. And then, I devote 1 good day to cooking. I try and cook 2 meals a day for my parents. But I only do it once a week. On my "Cooking Day" I make 14 meals. My dad handles breakfast. My parents eat oatmeal every day.

I cook and then put the food away. I do this all day. My mom tries to help with things she can do. But I try to get her to rest. So I cook, and we put the food in storage containers. About 4 meals go in the refrigerator. The rest go in the freezer. That way it is good later in the week when they need to eat.

But I feel bad. Because I wish my parents could get fresh food every single day. Dad is not the best of cooks, so that leaves me. But I can't be there every day either. So I am looking into some Crockpot recipes. Maybe I can combine all the ingredients up before hand. And maybe twice a week dad can throw them in the crockpot before he goes to work.

I just need to find some good recipes. Lots of the recipes that I have found, are not very healthy. And I just can't imagine feeding my mom an entire crockpot of nacho cheese. Or the same stew over and over again. My meal planning is always a very detailed process. But it might just get more detailed, if I can show dad how to use the crockpot! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment